Open Educational Resources
Open Educational Resources (OER) are teaching and learning materials that are freely available online for everyone to use, whether you are an instructor, student or self-learner. Examples of OER include: full courses, course modules, syllabi, lectures, homework assignments, quizzes, lab and classroom activities, pedagogical materials, games, simulations, and many more resources contained in digital media collections from around the world.
Examples: OER Commons, Merlot, CCCOER
Open Educational Resources are broadly considered to meet the “4Rs Framework,” meaning that users are free to:
[checklist icon=”check” iconcolor=”#2ba14b” bg_icon=”square”]
- Reuse: Content can be reused in its unaltered form;
- Revise: Content can be adapted, adjusted, modified or altered;
- Remix: The original or revised content can be combined with other content to create something new;
- Redistribute: Copies of the content can be shared with others in its original, revised or remixed form.[separator top=”30″ style=”none”]
[acc title=”UCD Teaching and Learning – Open Educational Resources” icon=”spread”]
UCD Teaching and Learning – Open Educational Resources: www.ucdoer.ie
UCD Teaching and Learning is continually developing its series of open educational resources. The UCDOER enables the user to access and engage with content as determined by their needs, whether for professional development, evaluating practice or as part of a negotiated assessment.[/acc]
[acc title=”Irish Universities – Open Educational Resources” icon=”globe”]
Irish Universities – Open Educational Resources: www.irel-open.ie
In Ireland, universities received government funding to build open access institutional repositories and to develop a federated harvesting and discovery service via a national portal. It is intended that this collaboration will be expanded to embrace all Irish research institutions.[/acc]
[acc title=”National Digital Learning Resources” icon=”upload”]
National Digital Learning Resources: www.ndlr.ie
The NDLR (or National Digital Learning Resources) is a collaborative community of Higher Education academics in Ireland who are interested in developing and sharing digital teaching resources and promoting a new teaching and learning culture.
[vimeo id=”42536707″ width=”600″ height=”350″]
[acc title=”OER Search Engines” icon=”search”]
- OER Commons – Learning network of shared teaching and learning materials.
- Creative Commons Search
- Google Advanced Search
- OER Africa
[acc title=”Audio, Video & Images” icon=”video”]
Audio, Video & Images
- TEDEd – An extension of TED Talks a library of curated videos.
- Khan Academy – Free materials and resources in a range of subjects.
- OER Africa
[acc title=”Open Books and Textbooks” icon=”book-1″]
Open Books and Textbooks