Using Zoom to record group presentations
Zoom allows you to schedule meetings and record presentations with your group members for projects and assignments. The steps below detail how you can use Zoom to record and submit your group presentation assignments to your module on Brightspace.
Step 1. Before you beginBefore you get started, it’s important to nominate a ‘meeting host’. This person will be the member of the group that does the following:
- Schedule the meeting via Zoom and send out the meeting link to all team members.
- Start / Stop / Pause the recording.
- Upload the recorded video file to Brightspace.
Step 2. Check Zoom settings to enable Screen share
Step 3. Create a Zoom meetingOnce your presentation is ready, arrange a time when everyone in your group can meet to record the presentation. To invite group members to the meeting:
- Launch Zoom and click New Meeting
- Click the up arrow of the Participants icon on the control bar and select Invite.
- Click the Copy Invite Link and email the link to your group members.
Step 4. Enable webcam and microphoneEstablish that all group members can join the meeting with their webcam and microphones.
Step 5. Record the group presentationBefore you record your presentation, it is a good idea to have at least one practice round so that you can rehearse the smooth transitions between presenters.
- When you are ready click Record from the control bar.
- Share your screen by clicking Share Screen from the control bar.
- Select a screen window or an application and click Share.
- Click Stop Share when you have finished presenting.
- From the control bar you can pause / resume your recording if you need setup time switching between presenters. Pausing the recording during the changeover helps to make a more polished final recording.
- Stop the recording when the group has finished the presentation by clicking Stop Recording.
- When you are finished the meeting click End and select End Meeting for All.
Step 6. Upload your recording to BrightspaceWhen the meeting ends the recording will automatically begin processing. Once the conversion process is complete, the folder containing your recording should open automatically. By default, local recordings will be placed in the Documents\Zoom folder of the hosts computer.
- Windows: C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Zoom
- Mac: /Users/[Username]/Documents/Zoom
- m4a = audio only of the meeting
- txt = text of the meeting chat
- mp4 = video of the meeting
Tips for recording a Group Presentation with Zoom:
- Put your webcam at eye level or higher.
- Have a light source in front of you and not behind.
- Remove distractions from your background.
- Be prepared – rehearse your presentation individually and as a group before recording.