Using Zoom to record group presentations
Zoom allows you to schedule meetings and record presentations with your group members for
projects and assignments. The steps below detail how you can use Zoom to record and submit
your group presentation assignments to your module on Brightspace.
Step 1. Before you begin
Before you get started, it’s important to nominate a ‘meeting host’. This person will be the
member of the group that does the following:
- Schedule the meeting via Zoom and send out the meeting link to all team
- Start / Stop / Pause the recording.
- Upload the recorded video file to Brightspace.
Group members will join the Zoom meeting from the URL sent out by the host. Each participant
will need to share their screen or application to control the content for their section of the presentation.
Please note that Zoom’s Basic license gives you unlimited time for one-on-one meetings, but group meetings are limited to 40 minutes. With this limitation in place it is important that all team members are well prepared.
Step 2. Check Zoom settings to enable Screen share
- Whomever is scheduling the recording should review their Zoom settings beforehand.
Login to zoom.us
- In Settings scroll down to Screen sharing and allow All participants to share.
This allows all group members to share screens during the presentation.
Step 3. Create a Zoom meeting
Once your presentation is ready, arrange a time when everyone in your group can meet to record the presentation.
To invite group members to the meeting:
- Launch Zoom and click New Meeting
- Click the up arrow of the Participants icon on the control bar and select Invite.
- Click the Copy Invite Link and email the link to your group members.
Step 4. Enable webcam and microphone
Establish that all group members can join the meeting with their webcam and microphones.
- When entering the meeting click Join with Computer Audio.
- Activate your microphone by clicking Unmute. During the recording of the presentation, you may want to mute your microphone when it is not your turn to speak.
- Enable your webcam by clicking Start Video.
Step 5. Record the group presentation
Before you record your presentation, it is a good idea to have at least one practice round so that you can rehearse the smooth transitions between presenters.
- When you are ready click Record from the control bar.
- Share your screen by clicking Share Screen from the control bar.
- Select a screen window or an application and click Share.
- Click Stop Share when you have finished presenting.
- From the control bar you can pause / resume your recording if you need setup time switching between presenters. Pausing the recording during the changeover helps to make a more polished final recording.
- Stop the recording when the group has finished the presentation by clicking Stop Recording.
- When you are finished the meeting click End and select End Meeting for All.
Step 6. Upload your recording to Brightspace
When the meeting ends the recording will automatically begin processing.
Once the conversion process is complete, the folder containing your recording should open automatically.
By default, local recordings will be placed in the Documents\Zoom folder of the hosts computer.
- Windows: C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Zoom
- Mac: /Users/[Username]/Documents/Zoom
There are three types of files:
- m4a = audio only of the meeting
- txt = text of the meeting chat
- mp4 = video of the meeting
The .mp4 is the video recording of the group presentation that you will submit.
Rename the file from zoom_0.mp4 to something more recognisable. Submit the video along with any accompanying documents and files in Brightspace.
Tips for recording a Group Presentation with Zoom:
- Put your webcam at eye level or higher.
- Have a light source in front of you and not behind.
- Remove distractions from your background.
- Be prepared – rehearse your presentation individually and as a group before recording.