The email tool allows you to email from within Blackboard. You can send an email to individual students, groups of students or other instructors on a course.
The email tool allows you to send email to other people in your course from within Blackboard Learn without launching an external email program, such as Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo. Email can be sent to individual users or to groups of users. A copy of email messages is sent to the sender by default.
Business elearning recommend that you use the new targeted email system on Info Hub if you are sending official email to all your students.
Watch a Tutorial
Double-click the video to enlarge the viewing area.
Before you Begin
Blackboard Learn keeps no record of sent or received email. When you receive or send an email, the email appears in the Inbox of your external email program. Keep a copy of important messages in case you need them at a later date.
You can send email to the following people in a course:
- All Users: Sends email to all users in the course.
- All Groups: Sends email to all of the groups in a specified course.
- All Teaching Assistant Users: Sends email to all of the Teaching Assistants in a specified course.
- All Student Users: Sends an email to all students in the course.
- All Instructor Users: Sends email to all of the instructors for a specified course.
- All Observer Users: Sends email to all of the observers for a specified course.
- Single/Select Users: Sends email to select users.
- Single/Select Groups: Sends email to select groups.
- Single/Select Observer users: Send email to a single observer or select observers in the course.
Recipients of each email will not see the email addresses of other recipients.
Blackboard Learn only recognizes email addresses and file names with standard characters including a-z, A-Z, 0-9, @ and period (.). The system cannot recognize files or email addresses with spaces or special characters, such as ?, !, #, &, %, or $.
Blackboard Learn requires some text content in the subject line to send email successfully. If you leave the subject line blank, the message will not be delivered.
Adding an eMail Tool Link
You can access the Send Email tool from the Tools link on the course menu.
Two Default Options
Access the Email tool using the default Tools link on the Course Menu. On the Tools page, select Send Email.
Alternatively, in the Control Panel, expand the Course Tools section and select Send Email.
How to send an eMail?
On the course menu, click the "Tools" link. On the Tools page, select "Send Email".- OR - On the Control Panel, expand the "Course Tools" section, and select "Send Email".
- On the Send Email page, click one of the options listed to send the email, for example, Single/Select Users.
- For the Single/Select Users or Single/Select Groups, select the recipients in the Available to Select box and click the right-pointing arrow to move them into the Selected box. A back arrow is available to move a user out of the recipient list. Click Invert Selection and selected users are no longer highlighted and those users that are not selected will be highlighted.For Windows, to select multiple users in a list, press the SHIFT key and click the first and last users. To select users out of sequence, press the CTRL key and click each user needed. For Mac systems, press the COMMAND key instead of the CTRL key. You can also use the Select All function to send an email to all users.
- Type your Subject. Your message will not be delivered without a subject.
- Type a Message.To email a link to a file you are including in a content item, you must first submit the content item so the file can be assigned a permanent URL. In the Content Collection or Course Files, click the file's action link 360 View. Copy the Permanent URL address and paste it in an email.
- Optionally, select the Return Receipt box to send a copy of the message to the sender.
- Click Attach a file to browse for file from your computer. You can attach multiple files. After you add one file, the option to attach another file appears.
A receipt page appears after the message is sent listing all recipients. The receipt page does not confirm that users received the message. It only confirms that the message was sent.
- Your email address is not visible unless you choose to make it visible to course members. You can find this setting in My Blackboard located above the tabs. Click Settings > Personal Information > Set Privacy Options. On this page, you can choose the information you want course members to see.
- You can change your external email address used in your course. Change your email address by going to My Blackboard > Personal Information > Edit Personal Information. Type your preferred email address and click Submit. Some schools do not allow users to change their email address of record. Contact your school for more information.
- Email programs, such as Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo, may identify email from Blackboard Learn as junk mail and either automatically delete it or move it to a junk mail folder. If you have problems, check your user preferences or options for settings regarding the handling of junk email in your email program.