Blackboard Tools: Announcement
The Announcements tool allows you to post important course updates to students. Students will see these announcements when they log in. You should always use the Date Restriction option when creating announcements. If you’re referencing new content or a course area you can link to this area.
Please note that student feedback from using Blackboard is that staff tend to overuse ‘Announcements’. It is worth noting that students can have access to 20 modules so keep announcements to a minimum.
How to Create Announcements
Announcements appear in the order posted, with the most recent announcements appearing first.
- On the Control Panel, expand the Course Tools section, and select "Announcements".
- On the Announcements page, click "Create Announcement" on the action bar.
- On the Create Announcement page, type a Subject. This becomes the title of the announcement on the Announcements page. In the Message box, you can use the content editor functions to format the text and include files, images, external links, multimedia, and mashups. Any files uploaded from your computer are saved in Course Files or the Content Collection in the top-level folder.
- In the Web Announcements Options section, select: "Not Date Restricted" to keep the announcement visible until you remove it -OR- "Date Restricted" to limit the announcement's visibility by date and time.
Date and Time Restrictions
- For Enter Date and Time Restrictions, you can set announcements to display on a specific date and time and to stop displaying on a specific date and time. Select the Display After and Display Until check boxes to enable the date and time selections. Type dates and times in the boxes or use the pop-up Date Selection Calendar and Time Selection Menu to select dates and times. Display restrictions do not affect the announcement availability, only when it appears.
- Select the Email Announcement check box to send students an email containing the announcement immediately. The email is sent to all students, even those who choose not to receive announcement notifications through email. (Your school determines if this option is available).
- Optionally, in the Course Link section, click "Browse" to link to a course area, tool, or item.
- Click "Submit".
Announcements or Email?
When emailing students, we recommend using the Email tool over the Announcements tool, as the module Email tool allows greater targeting of email, allowing email to Students, Individuals, Groups, or other users selectively. The Announcements tool can create SPAM, by emailing everyone registered to the course (including other staff). Read more about the Email tool here.