How to Add/Upload Single Files or Zipped Packages
You can use the file content type to create a simple link to a file in a course area. No description appears with the link. You can choose whether users view it as a page within the course or in a separate browser window.
Add a Single File
You can upload a single file or a single zipped package. For example, uploading a zipped package would be an effective way to provide students a group of documents needed for a group project.
- Change Edit Mode to ON.
- Access a content area, learning module, lesson plan, or folder.
- On the action bar, point to "Build Content" to access the drop-down list.
- Select "File".
- To upload a file from your computer, click "Browse My Computer".
- To upload a file from the course's storage repository:
- If Course Files is the course's storage repository, click "Browse Course" -OR-
- If your school licenses content management, click "Browse Content Collection".On the Create File page, attach a file using one of the following options.
- After you have selected a file, you can click "Select a Different File" to delete the file you linked and replace it with another.
- Type a Name for the file. You can overwrite the file name that automatically appears in the box. This name appears in the course area as a link. You can also select the font color.
- Select "Yes" for Open in New Window to display the content in a new browser window outside of the course’s content frame.
- Select "Options" for the item.
- Select "Yes" to Permit Users to View this Content.
- Select "Yes" to Track Number of Views.
- For "Select Date and Time Restrictions", you can set items to display on a specific date and time and to stop displaying on a specific date and time. Select the" Display After" and "Display Until" check boxes to enable the date and time selections. Type dates and times in the boxes or use the pop-up Date Selection Calendar and Time Selection Menu to select dates and times. Display restrictions do not affect item availability, only when it appears.
- Click "Submit".
Add Zipped Content Packages
If you have worked offline to create a lesson with several interrelated HTML pages with navigation, images, web links, and cascading style sheets (CSS), the best method for presenting the package to users is for you to unzip the package in Course Files or the Content Collection and provide students a link to the start page. This enables students to view the lesson contents in order with all links intact. The start page will open in a new window or tab and can be closed to return to the course area.
- Create a package of content offline on your computer.
- Access "Course Files" or the "Content Collection". Select "Upload Package" so that the package is unzipped automatically.
- Access the Content Area, Learning Module, Lesson Plan, or folder where you will provide the link to your lesson.
- Point to "Build Content" and select "File".
- On the Create File page, click "Browse Course" or "Browse Content Collection" to select the file that is the start page for your content package. This is the first page users see and should contain navigation to the other pages in your package.
- Set options for the file link in the course area.
- Click "Submit".
If you want the packaged file to remain zipped, simply attach the zipped file in a content item by using the Attach options or the Content Editor. When a zipped package remains intact, students click the link for the zipped package in the course area and download the zipped package to their computers where it can be unzipped. This method is useful if you want to provide students several files to work with or edit on their computers.